Chivas USA 1-0 win vs. Ventura County Fusion, Ventura College, Ventura, Calif., 5/29/2012)
· VENTURA, Calif. (Tuesday, May 29, 2012) – With a goal by Cesar Romero, Chivas USA beat Ventura County Fusion 1-0 in Tuesday night’s Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup 3rd round match. The 13th minute goal by Romero held as the game’s only score in front of a capacity crowd at Ventura College. The Red-and-White now advance to the fourth round of the 99-year-old competition where they are set to take on the Carolina RailHawks next Tuesday.
· Cesar Romero scored the game’s only goal in the 13th minute, receiving a through ball from Juan Agudelo and finding himself in space on the right side of the penalty box. Romero took his chance, calmly slotting the ball in-between Fusion goalkeeper Earl Edwards’ legs and into the net.
· Perhaps the Fusion’s best chance to equalize came in the 20th minute. Travis Bowen got through on goal from the left wing, but Goats goalkeeper Timothy Melia made a diving stop on the hard and low shot, and also reacted first to smother the rebound.
· Melia, making his first competitive appearance for the Red-and-White, had a strong game in goal, contributing with several key saves throughout the match. Notable plays from the 26-year-old ‘keeper included a diving stop on a 30-yard blast from Gabe Gonzales in the 65th minute, and a charge off his line to break-up a 71st minute breakaway by Francisco Lopez.
· Half-time substitute Laurent Courtois created one of the best chances of the second half for Chivas USA, with a great individual run that saw the Frenchman beat two Fusion defenders. The play ended with a foul that the referee adjudged to be just outside the penalty area. The resultant free-kick by Juan Pablo Ángel was blocked by the Ventura wall.
· The Red-and-White controlled possession for the majority of the match, and clamped down in the game’s final minutes, until referee Jesus Cisneros blew his whistle to singal the end of the match and Chivas USA’s 1-0 victory.
· Chivas USA continue their Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup run next Tuesday June 5th against the Carolina Railhawks at WakeMed Soccer Park in Cary, North Carolina.
· When the Rojiblancos resume MLS competition, they look to extend their unbeaten streak to five hosting Real Salt Lake, Saturday, June 16th, 7:30 pm (PT) at The Home Depot Center. The match will broadcast on television, live on Prime Ticket in English, and KWHY Channel 22 in Spanish. For more information about the game please visit cdchivasusa.com. Follow us on Twitter @cdchivasusa and Facebook.com/chivasusa
Chivas USA vs. Ventura County Fusion (U.S. Open Cup 3rd Round)
May 29, 2012 – Ventura College Sports Complex
CHV – Cesar Romero (Juan Agudelo) 13
Chivas USA – Timothy Melia; Jorge Villafaña, John Valencia (Danny Califf 83), Rauwshan McKenzie, Scott Gordon; Ryan Smith (Laurent Courtois 46), Blair Gavin, Peter Vagenas, Cesar Romero (Moreno 46); Juan Agudelo, Juan Pablo Ángel
Subs not used: James Riley, Casey Townsend, Patrick McLain, Jose Erik Correa
Ventura County Fusion – Earl Edwards; Willie Rupert, Tim Pontius, Michael Daly, Peter McGlynn (Matt Wiet 81), Daniel Steres, Kennedy Chongo, Michael Roman (Gabe Gonzales 65), Rodrigo Lopez, Travis Bowen, Francisco Lopez (Victor Chavez 88)
Subs not used: Armando Guerrero, Kory Kindle, Eric Shannon, Chris Tsonis.
CHV – Scott Gordon (caution) 45+
VCF – Michael Daly (caution) 60
VCF – Kennedy Chongo (caution) 64
CHV – Juan Pablo Ángel (caution) 70
VCF – Victor Chavez (caution) 89
Referee: Jesus Cisneros
Attendance: c. 2,800
Time of Game: 1:53