Chivas USA Notes (3-4 loss vs. Seattle Sounders, The Home Depot Center – Track & Field, Carson, Calif., 4/23/2012)
- CARSON, Calif. (Monday, April 23, 2012) – In a fast-paced physical match, Chivas USA (1-1-0) lost 3-4, Monday morning at Track & Field Stadium of The Home Depot Center to Seattle Sounders (1-2-1) as part of the MLS Reserves League.
- Seattle dominated the match and created more goal opportunities, which reflected in the final result. During the first five minutes of the match, the visiting team created a couple of scoring opportunities. One in the 3rd minute when defender Roger Levesque’s shot was deflected by Red-and-White’s goalkeeper Tim Melia and bounced off the right post. Two minutes later, midfielder Andy Rose, attacking from the middle, received a cross pass that he shot wide left.
- The Goats countered on a cross pass from forward Juan Pablo Angel to Laurent Courtois who faced Seattle’s goalkeeper Bryan Meredith one-on-one but shot wide right in the 6th minute. One minute after, Courtois and Angel paired up again inside the box but Angel’s strike barely missed just outside Seattle’s right post.
- Chivas USA’s midfielder Blair Gavin from the center of the pitch would service to the left where Courtois received, controlled and took his shot for the first goal of the match in the 9th minute.
- The equalizer was scored by Seattle Sounder’s forward Cordell Cato who received a cross pass from defender Roger Levesque in the 12th minute.
- Seattle would jump ahead in the score 2 to 1 after midfielder Michael Seamon attacking from the right side of the pitch cross into the six yard box where forward Sammy Ochoa found it and beat GK Melia in the 31st minute.
- The equalizer for the Red-and-White would come off a penalty kick called by referee Daniel Radford when Courtois passed to Angel who entered the box and was tackled. Angel cashed the PK and scored in the 39th minute for the 2-2 score.
- In the second half Chivas USA turned the score on the Sounders when forward Casey Townsend, assisted by Angel in the 59th minute, attacking from his right, shot and beat Meredith for the 3-2 in favor of the home team.
- Three minutes after, Seattle countered with a score of their own when Servando Carrasco assisted Rose whom, just outside the box, struck and beat Melia for the equalizer, setting the score at 3-3.
- The game clincher for Seattle would come in the 70th minute as defender Andrew Duran assisted Ochoa for his second score of the match and the final 4-3 in favor of the visiting team.
- The Rojiblancos next reserves match will take place on May 14th at 11:00 am (PT) versus San Jose Earthquakes at the Nutrilite Training Facility in San Jose, California. For more information about the game, please visit cdchivasusa.com or call 1-877-CHIVAS-1. Follow us on Twitter @cdchivasusa and Facebook.com/chivasusa
Chivas USA (1-1-0) vs. Seattle Sounders (1-2-1)
April 23, 2012 – Home Depot Center – Track & Field
CHV – Laurent Courtois 1 (Blair Gavin 3) 9
SEA – Cordell Cato 1 (Roger Levesque 1) 12
SEA – Sammy Ochoa 1 (Michael Seamon 1) 31
CHV – Juan Pablo Angel 1 (unassisted) 39
CHV – Casey Townsend 1 (Juan Pablo Angel 1) 59
SEA – Andy Rose 1 (Servando Carrasco 1) 62
SEA – Sammy Ochoa 2 (Andrew Duran 1) 70
Chivas USA – Tim Melia, Carlos Torres (Mario Ledesma 35), Scott Gordon, John Valencia, Jorge Villafaña (Gerardo Torres 67), Marky Delgado, Blair Gavin (Erick Gonzalez 65), Laurent Courtois, Casey Townsend, Cesar Romero, Juan Pablo Angel (Victor Chavez 63)
Subs not used: Patrick McLain, Jorge Marquez, Javier Mena
Seattle Sounders – Bryan Meredith, Roger Levesque, Andrew Duran, Jhon Kennedy Hurtado, Marc Burch, Michael Seamon, Servando Carrasco, Andy Rose, David Estrada (Alex Caskey 58), Cordell Cato, Sammy Ochoa (Sean Morris 90)
Subs not used: Steve Spangler, Jonathan Prieto, Armando Ochoa.
SEA – Servando Carrasco (caution, foul) 10
CHV – Cesar Romero (caution, foul) 45
SEA – Roger Levesque (caution, foul) 67
CHV – Gerardo Torres (caution, foul) 90+
Referee: Daniel Radford
Referee’s Assistants: Steve Elliot, Bernhard Hosu
4th Official: Jose Pacheco
Time of Game: 1:50
Weather: Cloudy, 62 degrees