Chivas USA 4-2 loss vs. Seattle Sounders FC
Chivas USA (4-2 loss vs. Seattle Sounders FC, Starfire Sports Complex Tukwila, Wash., 9/09/2012)
· TUKWILA, Wash. (Sunday, September 9, 2012) – Seattle scored three second-half goals as Sounders FC beat Chivas USA, 4-2, in the MLS Reserve League on Sunday at Starfire Stadium.
· After trading a pair of first-half goals, Sounders FC came-from-behind in the final 45 minutes to earn a two-goal victory over Chivas USA, including the game-winner from Michael Seamon.
· Seattle (3-4-1, 10 points) is now four points behind West Division leader San Jose with two games remaining, while the match marked the final game of Chivas’ (3-4-3, 12 points) reserve league season.
· Seattle opened the scoring in the 22nd minute on a goal from guest player Eidur Gudjohnsen. Sammy Ochoa got the ball on the right flank and sent a low cross to the middle of the box, where Gudjohnsen knocked it inside the far post to put Sounders FC ahead, 1-nil.
· Chivas then scored twice to take a 2-1 lead. Jose Correa netted the first-half equalizer in the 26th minute when he headed in a ball form the right side on an assist from Paulo Cardozo.
· The Goats’ second goal came in the 60th minute on an own goal. Correa found Laurent Courtois with a backheel in the box but his initial shot was saved by Josh Ford. On his second attempt, Seattle defender Daniel Steres’ attempt to clear the ball off the line went into the net for an own goal.
· Just two minutes later, Cordell Cato pulled Seattle level. Cato flew up the left flank in the 62nd minute, cut across his defender at the top of the box and blasted a low, right-footed shot inside the near post.
· Sounders FC regained the lead in the 69th minute. Ochoa sent a cross into the box that deflected off of Andy Rose and Chivas keeper Tim Melia. In a scrum in the box, Seamon knocked the ball into the net for a 3-2 lead.
· Seattle secured the win with a goal in the 90th minute. Guest player Seth C’deBaca got on the end of a ball from Seamon and scored just before the final whistle.
SEA – Eidur Gudjohnson (Sammy Ochoa) 22′
CHV – Jose Correa (Paulo Cardozo) 26′
CHV – Own Goal (Daniel Steres) 60′
SEA – Cordell Cato 62′
SEA – Michael Seamon 69′
SEA – Seth C’deBaca (Michael Seamon) 90′
Chivas USA: Tim Melia; Ruben Rodriguez, Bobby Burling, Kevin Gallaugher, Anthony Dheming; Marco Delgado, Rodrigo Lopez, Laurent Courtois, Cesar Romero (Kennedy 74′); Paolo Cardozo, Jose Correa.
Substitutes Not Used: Patrick McLain, Tristan Bowen.
Total Shots: 9; Shots on Goal: 4; Fouls: 7; Offside: 2; Corner Kicks: 6; Saves: 2.
Seattle Sounders FC: Josh Ford; Michael Seamon, Daniel Steres, Jeff Parke, Marc Burch; Cordell Cato, Servando Carrasco, Andy Rose, Alex Caskey (Seth C’deBaca 82′); Eidur Gudjohnson (George Ogararu 46), Sammy Ochoa.
Substitutes Not Used: Bryan Meredith.
Total Shots: 10; Shots on Goal: 6; Fouls: 10; Offside: 7; Corner Kicks: 5; Saves: 3.
CHV – Laurent Courtois (caution; Reckless Foul) 35′
SEA – George Ogararu (caution; Reckless Foul) 49′
SEA – Marc Burch (caution; Reckless Foul) 56′
Referee: William Niccolls
Referee’s Assistants: Levi Rippy; Chipalo Street
4th Official: Ray Moffatte Jr.
Weather: Cloudy and 63-degrees
All statistics contained in the boxscore are unofficial.