CHIVAS USA FALLS 0-2 TO AIK
Red-and-White controlled and kept possession of the ball most of the time, but it was not enough
PORTLAND, OR (Monday, February 27, 2012) – Today Chivas USA lost 0-2 against Sweden’s AIK from the Allsvenskan first-division, during its first match as part of the three doubleheader sessions tournament at the JELD-WEN Field in Portland. AIK’s forward Lundberg and midfielder Atakora scored in the first and second half respectively. Chivas USA will train tomorrow morning in preparation to Thursday’s match against home team Portland Timbers.
- The battle was in the middle of the pitch were both midfielder lines clashed several times during the match. Despite controlling and keeping possession of the ball most of the time, Chivas USA fell against AIK. Chivas USA generated several goal opportunities throughout the 90 minutes of the match but the Red-and-White shots were either blocked or deflected by AIK’s defensive line.
- Venezuelan Alejandro Moreno and Ecuadorian Miller Bolaños generated a big opportunity for Chivas USA. Triangular move at the right of the pitch, Bolaños crossed to Moreno who immediately kicked back and returned the favor to Bolaños who did not have the space to accommodate, lost control of the ball and AIK’s defender Fallman took it away at minute 26.
- Three minutes later, Chivas USA attacked again, this time through Ante Jazic who came from the left side of the pitch, found and crossed to Miller Bolaños who could not pass AIK’s defensive line. Immediately after, another Read-and-White wave, this time, Alejandro Moreno playing as midfielder served to Juan Pablo Angel who could not surprised European defender Karisson at minute 29.
- In the minute 28, Canadian defender Ante Jazic complained about a pain in his wrist but he kept on playing for the rest of the match.
- 0-1 – When Chivas was controlling the game at the edge of the first half, AIK’s midfielder Lalawele Atakora assisted forward Viktor Lundberg who beat Goat’s GK Dan Kennedy in minute 41.
- 0-2 – Early in the second half, Atakora again, this time as a scorer and assisted by midfielder Robin Quaison. Atakora came from the left side of the pitch in relation to AIK’s attacked. The European went through James Riley and Valencia. Red-and-White GK Kennedy intended to block Atakora’s shot but the ball went over Kennedy’s left shoulder and inside the right corner of the goal in the minute 52.
- Robin Fraser made all the substitutions throughout the second half starting in minute 46 when he substituted midfielder Ryan Smith for Alan Souza; ten minutes later Ben Zemanski substituted forward Bolaños; in the minute 58, Michael Lahoud was substituted by Frenchmen Laurent Courtois; in the 63rd minute Casey Townsend entered the pitch substituting Alejandro Moreno, and Mexican American Cesar Romero substituted Juan Pablo Angel in the minute 71.
- Chivas USA generated many goal opportunities in the second half as well. In minute 71, Alan Souza attacking from the right side in the middle of the pitch tried a triangular play with Zemanski who gave it back to Souza who could not reach the ball before AIK’s defender kicked it out of the box. In the minute 87, the three newcomers Romero, Casey, and Souza generated another great opportunity starting the play from the right side of their attack.
Chivas USA vs. AIK
February 27, 2012 – JELD-WEN Field
AIK – Lundberg (Atakora) 41
AIK – Atakora (Quaison) 52
AIK – Robin Quiason (caution; reckless tackle) 18
Chivas USA — Dan Kennedy, James Riley, John Valencia, Heath Pearce, Ante Jazic, Michael Lahoud (Laurent Courtois, 58), Alejandro Moreno (Casey Townsend, 63), Oswaldo Minda, Ryan Smith (Alan Souza, 46), Miller Bolaños (Ben Zemanski, 55), Juan Pablo Angel (Cesar Romero, 71).
Substitutes Not Used: Tim Melia, David Jr. Lopez, Rauwshan McKenzie, Scott Gordon, Jose Najera.
AIK: Ivan Turina; David Fällman (Sal Jobarteh, 85), Per Karlsson, Niklas Backman, Martin Lorentzson; Daniel Gustavsson, Robin Quaison (Robert Ahman Persson, 76), Daniel Tjernström, Lalawele Atakora; Alhassan Kamara (Kwame Amponsah Karikari, 78), Viktor Lundberg.
Referee: Paul Ward
Referee’s Assistants: Darren Clark, Balboucar Jallow
4th Official: Drew Fischer
Time of Game: 1:49
Weather: Partly cloudy and 42 degrees
About Chivas USA
Founded in 2004, Los Angeles-based Club Deportivo Chivas USA has achieved remarkable success in seven full seasons in Major League Soccer. From 2006-2009, the Mexican-owned club qualified for the MLS Cup Playoffs in four consecutive seasons, to the delight of its passionate supporters. In addition, Chivas USA’s innovative grassroots programs demonstrate its deep commitment to the Southern California community, while the club’s youth teams and Soccer Academies offer unprecedented opportunities to the region’s best young talent. For more information on Chivas USA, please call 1-877-CHIVAS-1 or visit cdchivasusa.com.