Chivas USA Y FC Dallas
Chivas USA Notes (0-1 Loss vs. FC Dallas, Pizza Hut Park, Frisco, TX, 7/31/11)
- FRISCO, Texas – Under 103 degrees temperature, Chivas USA faced and lost against the Western Conference sub leader FC Dallas as it started its five game road trip at Pizza Hut Park Sunday evening before 10,023 fans. FC Dallas midfielder Marvin Chavez gave the lead to the home team at the 25th minute of the first half, assisted by forward Ruben Luna.
- FC Dallas took the lead in the match through Marvin Chavez, who scored his 4th goal of the season at the 26th minute, assisted by forward Ruben Luna. Chavez struck the ball and Chivas USA defender Heath Pearce, in an intent to block the shot, deflected the direction of it and the ball ended up in the back of Kennedy’s net.
- Chivas USA had several opportunities to score but could not capitalized. Early on, Nick LaBrocca crossed from the left side of the box to forward Justin Braun but the effort from the Chivas USA goal leader was not enough to reach the ball and score. Later on, in less than 90 seconds, FC Dallas approched twice on the visiting team’s box and created two real goal opportunities but Red-and-White goalkeeper Dan Kennedy did a great job and saved the team.
- By the 40th minute, FC Dallas got close to score again, when a free kick went into the box and FC Dallas defender George John, with a header, hit the left post of the Goats goal.
- With the loss, the Red-and-White MLS record moves to 6-8-8 with 26 points, and remains in the sixth place in the Western Conference. The Goats will now travel to Boston to face the New England Revolution on Saturday, August 6th at Gillette Stadium. The match will kick off at 4:30 pm PT, and will be broadcast on W Radio 690 AM. For information on the game, please visit cdchivasusa.com
THE WORD FROM THE TEAMS:
- CHIVAS USA – defender Heath Pearce
On the heat… I don’t even remember this heat. I don’t know if I ever played in this heat when I was here. Obviously, the circumstances were difficult for both teams.
On the goal by Chavez… They got a flick-on on a header and were able to get a free cross off. I thought I got under the header pretty well. Ruben [Luna] saved the ball on the line and we arrived late to make the play. Chavez shot it and it just hit straight off me and then went into the goal. Pretty lucky. But, that’s the way the game goes.
On his thoughts about the game… I don’t think we came out particularly strong, like we did the last couple games, but we hung in there. The turnovers today is what eventually cost us the match. That many turnovers in this kind of heat its going to drain you pretty quick.
On what Chivas USA needs to do to rebound against New England next week… We know what to do. We know how to win. We know what it takes. It is just going to require enough guys having solid games and doing what makes our team do well which is passing well and finishing our opportunities.
- CHIVAS USA – head coach Robin Fraser
General toughs on the match… Tough conditions – it was possibly the hottest game I have been a part of in MLS so it was difficult for both teams. That type of game out there tonight, the team that capitalizes on their opportunities is going to be the team that wins the game. Dallas capitalized on a chance really early and it was tough to chase the game after that. We fought hard and in the end we came up a bit short.
On what Chivas need to do to rebound against New England next week… Just recover – the heat is what it is. We need to recover from this and come back next week against New England.
Chivas USA (5-8-7) vs. FC Dallas (12-5-6)
August 31 2011- Pizza Hut Park
DAL — Marvin Chavez 4 (Ruben Luna 1) 26
CHV — Zarek Valentin (caution; Reckless Tackle) 16
DAL — Bobby Warshaw (caution; Reckless Foul) 49
DAL — Bruno Guarda (caution; Reckless Tackle) 53
Chivas USA — Dan Kennedy, Zarek Valentin, Michael Umana, Heath Pearce, Ante Jazic, Michael Lahoud (Alejandro Moreno 59), Simon Elliott (Paulo Nagamura 64), Blair Gavin, Jorge Flores (Ben Zemanski 81), Justin Braun, Nick LaBrocca.
Substitutes Not Used: Francisco Mendoza, Marcos Mondaini, Mariano Trujillo, Zach Thornton.
FC Dallas — Kevin Hartman, Zach Loyd, George John, Ugo Ihemelu, Jair Benitez, Marvin Chavez (Eric Alexander 62), Bruno Guarda, Ricardo Villar, Bobby Warshaw (Jackson 56), Brek Shea, Ruben Luna (Maykel Galindo 70).
Substitutes Not Used: Daniel Hernandez, Victor Ulloa, Andrew Wiedeman, Chris Seitz.
Referee: Elias Bazakos
Referee’s Assistants: -Adam Garner; Eric Boria
4th Official: Armando Villarreal
Time of Game: 1:51