Formula DRIFT Round 6: After Dark Results;
Rhys Millen Takes the Victory while Daijiro Yoshihara Retains the Points Lead
Long Beach, Calif. August 28, 2011 Formula DRIFT returned to the Las Vegas Motor Speedway for Round 6: After Dark. Rhys Millen in the Red Bull / Hankook Hyundai Genesis Coupe takes his first victory of the season. The chase for the championship tightens up heading in the final event of the season.
The results of Round 6: After Dark at the Las Vegas Motor Speedway set-up what will be the most competitive finals in the history of the Series. Five drivers have a chance for the championship staying within in 52 points of one another.
The events that unfolded in todays competition prove that anything can happen in this sport, said Jim Liaw, president and co-founder of Formula DRIFT. The level of competition continues to provide action and excitement to the Series. With the championship up for grabs Round 7: Title Fight will be one of the most anticipated events in Formula DRIFT history.
The competition was full of surprises as many of the point leaders were taken out of the Top 16 competition opening the door for other drivers to tighten the gap in the point standings. Underdog and current leader for Rookie of the Year, Aurimas Odi Bakchis in the Forged Racing Nissan 240SX surprised everyone moving into the Top 4 and to face Matt Powers in the Need for Speed / Nitto Nissan S14. After a hard fought battle Powers took third place and secured his chances to have a shot at the title. The Finals pitted Darren McNamara in the Falken Tire Saturn Sky against Rhys Millen in the Red Bull / Hankook Hyundai Genesis Coupe. With consistent driving throughout the weekend Millen proved why he is a former champion taking the victory and moving into 11th Place overall in the Championship Point Standings.
This is kind of a milestone for us. This was the first venue that we debuted the Hyundai Genesis and we failed to qualify, stated Rhys Millen, winner of Round 6: After Dark. Now 2 years later we are standing on top of the podium and it feels fantastic.
It all comes down to the final event of the season. The Formula DRIFT Championship continues for Round 7: Title Fight at the Toyota Speedway at Irwindale on October 7-8. Tickets are currently on-sale online and are expected to sell out quickly.
For more information visit: www.formuladrift.com
Formula DRIFT Professional Championship 2011 Point Standings after 6 Rounds
1. Yoshihara, Daijiro Discount Tire / Falken Tire Nissan S13 470 Points
2. Pawlak, Justin Falken Tire Ford Mustang 451.25 Points
3. McNamara, Darren Falken Tire Saturn Sky 435.50 Points
4. Forsberg, Chris NOS Energy Drink / Hankook Nissan 370Z 429 Points
5. Powers, Matt Need for Speed / Nitto Nissan S14 418.50 Points
6. Tuerck, Ryan Gardella Racing / Mobil 1 Chevrolet Camaro 370 Points
7. Grunewald, Conrad Hankook Tire Chevy Camaro 357 Points
8. Gittin, Vaughn Monster Energy / Falken Ford Mustang 349 Points
9. McQuarrie, Tyler Falken Tire Nissan 350Z 341.50 Points
10. Mohan, Kyle Nexen Tire / Mazdatrix Mazda RX-8 323 Points
11. Millen, Rhys Red Bull / Hankook Hyundai Genesis Coupe 317 Points
12. Aasbo, Fredric Need for Speed / Hankook Scion TC 304.50 Points
13. Yoshioka, Toshiki Retaks Nissan S13 299.75 Points
14. Bakchis, Aurimas Bakchis Racing / Forged Racing Nissan 240SX 255 Points
15. Gushi, Ken RS*R / Hankook / Scion Racing TC 251.75 Points
16. Petty, Ross Garage Boso / Falken Nissan S15 208.50 Points
Round 6: After Dark Event Results
1. Millen, Rhys Red Bull / Hankook Hyundai Genesis Coupe Winner
2. McNamara, Darren Falken Tire Saturn Sky Second Place
3. Powers, Matt Need for Speed / Nitto Nissan S14 Third Place
Tires.com Triple Crown (after 2 of 3 events)
1. Yoshihara, Daijiro Discount Tire / Falken Tire Nissan S13 212 Points
2. Forsberg, Chris NOS Energy Drink / Hankook Tire Nissan 370Z 153 Points
3. McNamara, Darren Falken Tire Pontiac Saturn Sky 144.50 Points