LA Galaxy Postgame Notes: LA Galaxy 2, Portland Timbers 1
LA Galaxy 2, Portland Timbers 1
Sunday, March 4, 2018 – 7:00 p.m. PT
2018 MLS Regular Season
StubHub Center – Los Angeles, Calif.
LA – Ola Kamara (Assisted by Rolf Feltscher, Jonathan dos Santos) 32
LA – Romain Alessandrini 34’
POR – Sebastián Blanco (Assisted by Fanendo Adi) 66’
LA – Romain Alessandrini (caution) 19’
POR – Larrys Mabiala (caution) 86’
LA – Michael Ciani (caution) 89’
LA Galaxy: David Bingham; Rolf Feltscher, Michael Ciani, Jorgen Skjelvik, Ashley Cole ©; Jonathan dos Santos, Perry Kitchen; Romain Alessandrini (Chris Pontius 60’), Giovani dos Santos (Sebastian Lletget 72’), Emmanuel Boateng (Servando Carrasco 82’); Ola Kamara.
Substitutions not used: Justin Vom Steeg, Dave Romney, Daniel Steres, Baggio Husidic.
TOTAL SHOTS: 14; SHOTS ON GOAL: 3; FOULS: 15; OFFSIDE: 1; CORNER KICKS: 4; SAVES: 6.
Portland Timbers: Jake Gleeson; Marco Farfan, Alvas Powell (Zarek Valentin 62’), Larrys Mabiala, Liam Ridgewell ©, Andy Polo (Samuel Armenteros 73’), Cristhian Paredes (Andrés Flores 84’), David Guzman, Diego Valeri, Sebastian Blanco, Fanendo Adi.
Substitutions not used: Lawrence Olum, Kendall McIntosh, Julio Cascante, Dairon Asprilla.
TOTAL SHOTS: 15; SHOTS ON GOAL: 7; FOULS: 14; OFFSIDE: 0; CORNER KICKS: 6; SAVES: 1.
Referee: Jair Marrufo
Referee’s Assistants: Eduardo Mariscal and Jeffrey Greeson
4th Official: Alejandro Mariscal
VAR: Kevin Stott
- The LA Galaxy opened the 2018 MLS Regular Season with a 2-1 win against Portland Timbers Sunday night at StubHub Center, marking the start of their 23rd year in Major League Soccer.
- Five newcomers made their first MLS starts for the LA Galaxy: David Bingham, Rolf Feltscher, Jorgen Skjelvik, Perry Kitchen and Ola Kamara.
- Ola Kamara scored his first MLS goal for the LA Galaxy. In his MLS career, Kamara has tallied 35 goals in 60 appearances.
- Romain Alessandrini kicked off his campaign with a goal, picking up right where he left off in 2017. In his first MLS season, he recorded 13 goals and 12 assists.
- Rolf Feltscher recorded his first MLS assist in his first MLS match.
- Sunday’s match marked the 697th game all time in Major League Soccer, cumulating a record of 316-234-147 in the regular season overall.
- During that span, the Galaxy have now scored 630 goals and recorded 648 assists.
- All time, the Galaxy are 202-80-67 during MLS Regular Season contests played at home.
- The Galaxy have now faced Timbers 19 times in regular season play, scoring 34 goals against the Western Conference side, going 8-6-5 all-time, including 6-3-3 during home contests.
- All time, the Galaxy have now gone 14-8-2 in home-opening contests.
- LA have gone 17-10-7 during the month of March during their 22-year history.
- LA Galaxy Head Coach Sigi Schmid has now gone 231-173-117 during his 19-year coaching career in Major League Soccer
- The LA Galaxy roster featured 12 new players to begin the 2018 MLS Regular Season.
- Five new players made their Galaxy debut in the starting XI: David Bingham, Rolf Feltscher, Jorgen Skjelvik, Perry Kitchen and Ola Kamara.
- The Galaxy lineup tomorrow featured seven players that were not on last year’s opening-day roster: Gio dos Santos, Boateng, Alessandrini, Cole are only four players that were on last year’s opening day roster.
- Defender Ashley Cole started and captained the side, marking his 55th start in Major League Soccer since joining the team two seasons ago.
- In their next contest, the Galaxy will travel to take on New York City FC in a baseball stadium on Sunday, March 11 at 2 p.m. PT live on Spectrum SportsNet and Spectrum Deportes.
- For a full LA Galaxy schedule from the 2018 season, visit www.lagalaxy.com/schedule.
- For more information, visit www.lagalaxy.com.